Wednesday 4 March, 2009

ಸಮಸ್ಯೆಯ ಆರಂಭ

When I started to manage my plantation in 1995 I wanted to become an exemplary farmer in the locality. I was in the plantation throughout the day . When the irrigation period started I was in the plot in night also. I changed the sprinkler jets every hour and practically I could not sleep in night. During day time my motor pump was and is not working because of low voltage. In the year 2000 I got the result for my work in the form of yield.On an average I got 2.95 kg arecanut per plant.I was not satisfied. I wanted 3.25kg supari per plant. When I inspected the plot I found that a patch of land gave very low yield. The plot was considered as water logging area. I increased the number as well as depth of the drainage canals. Next year I got a shock. Some of the plants weakened and died. Earlier some workers showed me some grubs resembling larvae of beetles in the soil. At that time I laughed at them and assured them that it will not harm the plant . In my opinion those grubs will eat only organic dead material. In the meanwhile I heard that one of neighbor also had the same problem and he was able to manage it. I contacted him and got the phone no. of Mr. K.M.Bhat,Rallies India company's dealer. He came to the plot and showed me the symptoms of white grub attack. He assured that using chlorophiriphose will solve the problem . Even though it was a little late I can still apply the chemical. That was in the end of June month.After the treatment I did not find white grubs in the basin of arecanut plant but found it in other areas. When I asked him about this he said that chemical application was done only to the basin and not to other areas. I am fully satisfied and thought that I controlled white grub problem. THIS WAS NOT THE END OF THE PROBLEM BUT ONLY THE BEGINNING.

No comments:

Post a Comment